| Cornell Career Services is part of Cornell's Division of Student and Campus Life. Our comprehensive services in Barnes Hall are open to all students, and complement the services offered through career offices in the undergraduate colleges that are tailored to more college-specific academic and career goals.|
The Health Careers Evaluation Committee (HCEC), a unit within Cornell Career Services, seeks a part-time temporary editors (2) to produce and copyedit confidential letters of evaluation produced by the HCEC. This position supports the HCEC in producing comprehensive, well-written, and individualized letters for Cornell undergraduates and alumni in their application for admission to professional schools of human medicine throughout the United States and globally.
The HCEC letters are complex documents that convey a wide range of personal qualities and factual information about applicants. Each letter must be edited with a particular focus on creating a compelling message using reasoning and analytical thought to determine the "sense" of the content and to offer a fair assessment for each applicant.
The successful candidate must possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, with emphasis on accuracy, and the ability to convey information using a high degree of reasoning and keen analysis. Specific skills include copyediting, proofreading, proficiency with database management, and substantial documented affinity for technological office machines and software. The ability to maintain strong confidentiality is also a must.
This is a non-benefits eligible position. Expected duration of appointment is April through Mid-August, 2017, hours are approximately 20-30 hours a week but are flexible during the standard working M-F, 8a – 5p. Hourly wages are dependent on experience.
- Bachelor's degree in English, creative writing, journalism, communications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have excellent writing and editing skills!
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and have experience with FileMaker Pro or equivalent complex database manager.
- Must be self-motivated with a strong work ethic and a demonstrated ability to work well both independently and collaboratively in a team-based work setting.
- Must have outstanding verbal and written communication skills with meticulous accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must have strong professional customer service, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task efficiently under specific deadlines.
- Must be able to prioritize and manage multiple projects with firm deadlines and keep pace with a demanding workload.
- No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
- No relocation assistance is available for this position.
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your application materials (Cover letter and Resume/CV) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. In the Experience section of your application, use the Paperclip icon to search for files or use the 'Drop Files Here' box to manually drag documents into your application.For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please go to https://hr.cornell.edu/jobs/how-we-hire.
Please note: Cornell Employees must apply through the Internal Cornell Career site.
University Job Title:Temp Serv Svc
Level:No Grade - Hourly
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Jose Delgado
Number of Openings:2
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-02-01-08:00