This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
What part will you play?
CNN Digital’s Senior Editor, News and Alerting, will help run a team that is often the final step before stories and updates are seen by the millions of people who visit CNN’s digital platforms daily. This job involves creative packaging of stories -- headlines, images, video, related material -- on homepages. It involves developing, executing and evolving a strategy for alerting, as our notifications move toward a more personalized experience.
- The successful candidate will bring creativity, energy and substance to our programming and planning; have a full understanding of digital programming and storytelling; help set daily coverage priorities as well as longer-term planning; ensure successful workflows; be a data junkie, constantly refining and evolving strategy based on audience metrics; react swiftly to breaking news and help strategize the best delivery; and be able to identify engaging content and influence its production.
- S/he will direct day-to-day programming decisions for CNN homepage and associated platforms; elevate journalistic performance and standards; uphold the highest editorial standards of accuracy, timeliness, fairness, and news judgment while programming front pages and publishing alerts; and demonstrate a distinctive voice and approach to the news, positioning CNN as a must-read.
This is a highly collaborative role and a key leader not just within CNN Digital, but for all of CNN. The Senior Editor will work tightly with the mobile programming team and is accountable for the language and alerting coordination across all platforms.
- S/he will often be seen huddling with the Digital Newsdesk team, suggesting priority story ideas or angles.
- S/he will be an excellent partner to key verticals, social and video, global newsgathering and TV programming, Product and design.
- The Senior Editor ensures that shifts anticipate and are aware of news as it happens, composes clear, powerful statements summarizing news events, and distributes those news alerts to the millions who receive CNN email alerts, @CNNbrk tweets, app alerts or any other push alerts.
- Ensures that the team stays current with best practices for each platform and optimizes timing, content and the format of alert messages to meet ever-changing audience expectations.
The Senior Editor will use real time, hourly and daily data to place and program stories with accuracy, timeliness and creativity. S/he will help people and teams across all of Digital meet and exceed key goals. S/he is accountable for meeting traffic goals, including working with the video team to hit target goals for streaming, or key sections and verticals or projects to meet and exceed goals.
- S/he will be a super user of the CMS and a variety of other publishing tools.
- S/he may work on specific projects with the design, dev and product teams to implement new features or tools to the digital teams at large that help with workflow or help provide better audience insights.
- S/he will drive efforts across editorial and other departments to stay ahead of industry best practices and to ensure that CNN maintains an environment that fosters creativity and innovation to deliver content in new ways that meet the audience's ever-changing expectations and high standards.
- S/he will be a competitive news animal, constantly scouring the competition to see who has what stories where in terms of story play and alerting techniques.
- S/he will use those insights to share ideas about best/worst practices, to ask questions and propose steps to help sharpen programming and alerting across CNN’s ever-expanding digital portfolio.