Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University Columbian College of Arts and Sciences is the oldest and largest of the university's academic units, providing the foundation for GW's commitment to the liberal arts and a broad education for all students. The college encompasses 42 academic departments and programs for undergraduate, graduate and professional studies, and 28 research centers and institutes. An internationally recognized faculty and active partnerships with prestigious research institutions place Columbian College at the forefront in advancing policy, enhancing culture and transforming lives through research and discovery.
The School of Media and Public Affairs (SMPA) is dedicated to the study of media, journalism, and political communication with a focus on the connections between ideas and information and how the media inform and influence policy and politics in a democracy. As the only school of its kind in the capital of politics and media, we bring Washington into the classroom. Students engage with the world around them through internships and access to decision-makers, community leaders, and power brokers.
Planet Forward, GW’s multimedia sustainability project, is looking for a talented and engaged Lead Editor to oversee, coordinate and develop all content for planetforward.org and Planet Forward events. This person will work directly with the management and assume a role in developing content focused on climate change, food security, sustainability and innovation to move Planet Forward ahead. The incumbent will also promote and drive engagement around homegrown content and submissions from Planet Forward university partners and outside partnerships s/he has helped establish. Duties will include curating and soliciting content from our university and non-university partners, copy writing and editing, updating planetforward.org, assisting with planning and organization of events, and other tasks as assigned. The ideal candidate will possess Content Management Systems (CMS) / multimedia skills, experience in journalism and knowledge in aspects of environment, technology and sustainability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee production and distribution of all content on planetforward.org; serve as final checkpoint before content is published.
- Maintain editorial calendar to schedule stories on website; select Editor's Picks/ Featured stories; lead bi-monthly editorial meetings.
- Maintain PlanetForward.org CMS and work closely with developers to make website updates as needed.
- Manage student Assignment Editor and team of Correspondents; help recruit and manage interns.
- Establish and maintain relationships with organizations, journalism entities and other university/non-university content contributors
- Establish and administer online contests and solicit entries and applications for these opportunities.
- Copy edit and proof all forward-facing Planet Forward branded materials, including sponsorship and development materials.
- Leads the editorial process from start to finish, supervises and coordinates the work of students, editors and others by reviewing the editorial content submitted with respect to all these sources.
Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Experience writing, editing and leading a team of writers. Experience as an assignment editor is a plus.
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and both social media and website analytics
- Experience working with a CMS (Drupal); knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of technology and environmental issues, including climate, energy, and sustainability
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.