Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or similar field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience.
- At least five years’ experience in daily news (print or Web).
- Expertise in writing, with excellence in news writing, copy-editing and headline writing for web publishing.
- Strong knowledge of search-engine optimization and headline-writing for the search audience.
- At least three years of experience in editorial decision-making on deadline.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas, to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Solid, independent news judgment.
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Ability and willingness to work off-hours shifts, including very early mornings, nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Incumbent must be able to edit breaking stories for immediate posting.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse stakeholders within the organization.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and analyze, and interpret journals, digital publications, local blogs, books and newspapers.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to gather information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level and unleveled surface during periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required for filing documents or to store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Exposure to outside elements during course of work is to be expected to perform essential functions. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.