The American Chemical Society is the world’s largest scientific membership association and one of the top ten science publishers in the world. The Publications Division of the American Chemical Society provides to its members and the worldwide scientific community a comprehensive collection of high quality information products and services for the practice and advancement of the chemical sciences. The Division publishes a weekly magazine, and 50 high-quality scholarly journals focused on chemistry and chemistry-related topics.
The Editorial Development Department is focused on maintaining and improving the editorial performance of existing titles and the development of new products. The unit is responsible for reporting to staff and external editors, and governance committees on performance of journals; collaborating with external editors to ensure they have the appropriate resources to help their journals perform ably; collaborate with staff and editors create and implement strategic plans for journals; and for a number of titles, work directly with editors on the day to day management of peer review, author/reviewer outreach, and journal issue management.
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces is a leading journal focusing on how newly-discovered materials and interfacial processes can be developed and used for specific applications.
The Development Editor will be responsible for managing the editorial peer review process for a subset of manuscripts submitted to the journal. This includes manuscript selection, selection of peer-reviewers, scientific evaluation of manuscripts, and communicating decisions. A key aspect of the job is liaising with the scientific community of authors and peer-reviewers. The incumbent will be required to communicate with Editors on a routine basis and building a strong rapport to ensure consistency across editorial decision making. A high degree of professionalism in both written and oral communications and in-depth technical knowledge of the field to answer technical questions are essential.
The qualified candidate will be comfortable working with editors and authors. They should also be willing to learn new scientific fields as the scope of the journal expands. The incumbent will assist the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief in improving the peer-review process for the journal and the author’s peer review experience.
The individual must be a self-starter, should have a strong track record in scientific research in materials science, be familiar with the chemical and materials science research communities, be well-versed in the peer-review process, and be able to juggle multiple tasks to meet deadlines. The incumbent reports to the journal’s Managing Editor.
Work design: Works under general managerial supervision direction on journal goals and objectives. Work involves creative and adaptive thinking. Resolves non-routine problems by applying general policies, practices, procedures, and principles. Performs in-depth analyses of standard problems and recommends resolutions.
This position will be based in the Washington D.C. offices of the American Chemical Society.
• Support editorial team by evaluating submitted manuscripts to assess suitability for publication; including quality, validity of research, and relevance of scholarly research. Provide feedback on author submissions. Indicate whether writing is clear, concise, scientifically accurate, original, and of interest to the journal’s readership. Coordinate the process of peer review by assisting the Editor-in-Chief and working in tandem with Associate Editors with identification of potential reviewers, assigning manuscripts to reviewers, decision-making, and tracking progress of manuscripts through the publication process.
• Assist the Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editors, Editorial Advisory Board members, and Managing Editor with:
1.Regular distribution of submitted manuscripts to Associate Editor offices
2.Development, organization, and dissemination of internal documents to facilitate peer review process (criteria for decisions, decision messages, communicate/collaborate with editorial offices).
3.Soliciting manuscripts and reviews for the journal
4.Developing special issues including any associated web-only features
• Assist the Managing Editor with monitoring the competition and developing strategies to enhance the journal research content to surpass that of the competitor journals.
• Assist the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor with the preparation of materials for the yearly editorial board meeting.
• Maintain contact with authors, reviewers and outside experts.