Job Category: Fulltime Regular
Caltech's Office of Strategic Communications (OSC) works to define, promote, and protect Caltech's image, reputation, and brand. We create a wide range of content across multiple formats and platforms to tell the story of Caltech's impact on science and on the world to key internal and external audiences.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Senior Editor will be responsible for helping guide the editorial strategy of publications produced by OSC, as well as writing for and editing those publications. The successful candidate will work closely with the Editorial Director to create a vision and strategy for both online and print publications, and will partner with team members in OSC in the writing, editing, and producing a wide variety of communications and vehicles that support Caltech's strategic goals and initiatives.
- Works with the Editorial Director and other OSC staff to create vision and strategy for Caltechs print and online publications.
- Edits and curates both the print and online versions of Caltech magazine; works in collaboration with Caltech magazines Editor in Chief and other editorial staff to develop, assign, and edit story ideas and to shape the magazine as a whole.
- Leads the development and execution of key Institute communication vehiclesincluding but not limited to Caltechs overview book, This is Caltechand contributes his/her expertise to the transformation of these projects to a robust digital platform.
- Assists in content creationassigning, writing, editing, and using multimedia skillsfor a wide variety of print- and web-based vehicles, including the Caltech homepage, Caltech magazine, and other Institute vehicles as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree and/or 10+ years journalism/editorial experience required
- Excellent writing, interviewing, and editing skills; familiarity with editorial conventions; familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and ability to use in-house style guide to guide writing and editing of materials
- An understanding of recent trends and best practices in institutional print and online publications
- Experience using multimedia to help tell compelling stories; an understanding of best practices in moving a wide variety of communications vehicles to a robust digital platform
- General computer literacy, including proficiency with MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe InDesign (and, in particular, with their editing functions). Familiarity with social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and with collaboration and project management tools such as Trello
- Ability to learn and use Caltechs Content Management System, as well as the Squarespace publishing platform
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to simultaneously handle several projects at different levels of completion
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work as a member of a creative team
- Demonstrated initiative to both seek and propose solutions to problems with diplomacy and while maintaining a positive attitude
- Some evening and weekend work will be required. May need to travel by car or airplane for assignments. Must have a valid California Drivers License.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
- Copy editing experience
- Familiarity with a variety of editorial and design software products including Adobe Photoshop
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency