Work Design Magazine is looking for a Managing Editor.
Work Design Magazine is a highly respected online publication that is dedicated to covering the ideas shaping the places we work. We are primarily focused on developing content and events with and for end users, top workplace strategists, designers, facilities managers, commercial real estate experts and other thought leaders in the profession.
We are currently seeking an excellent communicator with a background in writing, editing, and digital publishing as well as a strong grasp of the issues driving the workplace design industry to fill our Managing Editor role.
This is an exciting leadership opportunity to interact at the highest levels of the design and workplace industry and shape the conversations on rapidly changing issues. In addition to editorial responsibilities, you’ll be required to represent Work Design at industry events and conferences, whether through attendance, press coverage, and/or participating as a panelist or moderator to promote visibility of the magazine as a key industry resource.
This position offers the chance to advance beyond your peers and offers the opportunity to interact with individuals that you would not ordinarily have the chance to interact with from around the world. This includes CEO’s, industry experts, the best designers, and leading manufacturers.
Because of this, as well as because of the interviews you’ll conduct for many of our articles — particularly, our “CEOs Talk Workplace” series and our case studies —you must be present a mature and professional image and be comfortable interacting with senior level executives and CEOs.
- Managing the editorial calendar;
- Maintaining and always improving the voice and vision of the publication, including generating new ideas for articles;
- Conducting interviews for original articles that you will write yourself;
- Working with freelancers, marketing and PR professionals, and designers to complete Project and Product Profiles and coordinating the accompanying submission of headshots, bios, and images;
- Using your well-honed eye to choose which images illustrate the articles and be able to re-size them for the web in Photoshop;
- Managing a stable of industry-expert contributors who submit expert Insights and Tips & Trends articles;
- Writing recaps of events, both around the industry and our own;
- Editing and posting the articles to our website;
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of workplace industry topics in general to both effectively assign articles and also publish our weekly roundup of workplace news from around the web
- Putting together our weekly e-newsletter to subscribers in MailChimp;
- Leading, researching, and writing our deep-dive case study and video program and working with the videographer and graphic designer re same;
- Working with our sales team and sponsors on thoughtful branded content;
- Formulating the topics, writing the promotional copy, and preparing questions for panelists at our Work Design TALKs.
- Leading our premium content program, which includes working with our stable of premium content contributors to assign, edit, and publish a bi-weekly premium article, as well as the planning, preparation, and editing of our annual print companion.
- Bachelors degree in Journalsim, Marketing, Interior Design or relevant field.
- Perfectionist in content writing, editing and graphics.
- Experienced in managing and promoting events through social media and other avenues.
- At least 2+ years of professional experience managing vendors, marketing events and public speaking.
- Exposed to workplace design events and knowledgeable of all major design events and associations.
- Comfortable working in a startup environment where you own the process and confidently run with it.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suites (InDesign, Photoshop), MailChimp, Google Analytics and AP Style.
- Experienced with SEO and providing clear analytics and data.
- Some travel required and occasional attendance at events after traditional work hours.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must submit their resume and work samples highlighting their professional experiences in writing, editing, graphics and event coordination. Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest.